Which U.S. regions have the most expensive health insurance premiums through health reform's new exchanges? According to a new report by Kaiser Health News, Colorado mountain resort region, southwest Georgia, rural Nevada, far western Wisconsin, and southern Georgia top the list.
Top 10 Most Expensive Health Insurance Exchange Markets
The highest cost regions were determined by the monthly premiums for a 40-year-old person. The list is based on rates for individual health plans offered on the federal and state health insurance exchanges (aka Marketplaces).
According to Kaiser Health News, many people in these regions will receive government tax credits to help pay for the premiums, however the portion they will pay will still likely be higher than in many other regions of the U.S.
Is your region on the top 10 list?
(1) $483: Colorado Mountain Resort Region. Eagle, Garfield and Pitkin counties, home of Aspen and Vail ski resorts. Summit County premiums are $462.
(2) $461: Southwest Georgia. Baker, Calhoun, Clay, Crisp, Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, Randolph, Schley, Sumter, Terrell and Worth counties.
(3) $456: Rural Nevada Esmeralda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Elko, Mineral, Pershing, White Pine and Churchill counties.
(4) $445: Far Western Wisconsin. Pierce, Polk and St. Croix counties, across the border from St. Paul, Minn.
(5) $423: Southern Georgia. A swath of counties adjacent to the even more expensive region. Ben Hill, Berrien, Brooks, Clinch, Colquitt, Cook, Decatur, Early, Echols, Grady, Irwin, Lanier, Lowndes, Miller, Seminole, Thomas, Tift and Turner counties.
(6) $405: Most of Wyoming. All counties except Natrona and Laramie.
(7) $399: Southeast Mississippi. George, Harrison, Jackson & Stone counties. In Hancock County, the lowest price plan is $447.
(8) $395: Vermont. Unlike other states, Vermont does not let insurers charge more to older people and less to younger ones. Its ranking therefore will differ depending on the ages of the consumers.
(9) $383: Fairfield, Connecticut. The southwestern-most county, which includes many affluent commuter towns for New York City.
(10) $381: Alaska.
Source: Kaiser Health News
See related articles:
- State by State Guide to Health Insurance Exchange Rates
- Lack of Competition on the Health Insurance Marketplaces?
- ACA Exchanges: Which Health Insurance Companies are Coming Out Ahead?