Get your copy of PeopleKeep's 2023 Nonprofit QSEHRA Report infographic
The QSEHRA empowers nonprofits to offer health benefits
Since its launch in 2017, the qualified small employer health reimbursement arrangement (QSEHRA) has made it possible for more small employers and nonprofits to offer a health benefit by enabling them to reimburse their employees tax-free for their individual health insurance premiums and qualifying medical expenses.
Offering competitive health benefits is essential for organizations to attract and retain their people. But building a great health benefit can be difficult for small nonprofits that lack the resources of larger organizations. Thankfully, nonprofit employers can achieve this with a QSEHRA.
A QSEHRA is an excellent option for nonprofits with fewer than 50 full-time equivalent employees (FTEs) that are looking to offer a flexible, affordable health benefit.
Fill out the form to see how nonprofit organizations are using their QSEHRA.
Download the complete report
Our annual usage report on how nonprofits use the qualified small employer health reimbursement arrangement (QSEHRA) is here!
As the first organization to offer a cloud-based QSEHRA administration platform, PeopleKeep has reported on how employers use their benefits every year since the launch of the QSEHRA. This year's nonprofit report details how nonprofits from across the U.S. used their QSEHRA benefit in 2022. To see how all of ur QSEHRA customers used their benefits in 2022, see our full 2023 QSEHRA Report.
The 2023 nonprofit edition includes data on:
- The average monthly QSEHRA allowance for nonprofits
- Average monthly allowance by family status in 2022
- Average monthly QSEHRA allowance by company size
- Average monthly allowance by company tenure with PeopleKeep
- How many nonprofits use a waiting period
- How many nonprofits enable employer-sponsored premium reimbursement (ESPR)
- The five most popular states for nonprofit customers
- The average percentage of an employee's allowance that gets used
- Reasons why nonprofit employers decided to offer a QSEHRA
- What benefits nonprofit customers offered before a QSEHRA
A sneak peek at our key findings
The average monthly allowance has increased by roughly 55% since 2018
Over the last few years the average monthly allowance a nonprofit offers with a QSEHRA has increased year-over-year. The average monthly allowance increased 55% from 2018 ($301) to 2022 ($466).
56% of nonprofit customers surveyed said their organization couldn't afford group health insurance
When asked why they decided to offer a QSEHRA, 56% of our nonprofit customer survey respondents said they couldn't afford a traditional group health insurance plan. The QSEHRA provides small organizations with a cost-effective way to provide quality health benefits to their employees.
67% of nonprofits didn't offer any benefits before offering a QSEHRA to their employees
Our nonprofit survey respondents overwhelmingly said they offered no benefits prior to the QSEHRA. This shows that an HRA is an excellent option for organizations looking to offer their first health benefit to better attract and retain top talent.
Learn more about PeopleKeep
What is PeopleKeep?
PeopleKeep is a personalized benefits administration software company. We serve small and midsize employers across many industries ranging from nonprofits, to high tech, to engineering. Because our software is intuitive and can be managed in minutes per month, we make providing benefits more accessible to organizations that do not want to manage complex and tedious administrative tasks.
Since starting as Zane Benefits in 2006, we've been the leader in cloud-based personalized benefits administration.
What other reports has PeopleKeep published?
As the industry leader in HRAs and personalized benefits, PeopleKeep prides itself on publishing proprietary data on all things HRAs and employee benefits.
PeopleKeep released three reports on the employee benefits employees value most, surveying more than 900 employees of small and midsize employers.
What products does PeopleKeep offer?
We provide software that allows organizations to offer health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) and employee stipends. Learn more about each of our products below:
- Qualified small employer HRA (QSEHRA): A simple, controlled-cost alternative to group health insurance for employers with 1-49 employees.
- Individual coverage HRA (ICHRA): A flexible health benefit solution for employers of all sizes that can be used alone or alongside group health insurance.
- Group coverage HRA (GCHRA): A group health supplement for employers already offering a group health insurance plan to help employees with out-of-pocket expenses.
- WorkPerks: Reimbursable employee stipends that broaden employee benefits. Offer your employees benefits for health, wellness, remote work, education, transportation, and more.
How much does a plan with PeopleKeep cost?
At PeopleKeep, we help you implement budget-friendly, compliant benefits without the hassle. Pricing will vary depending on which product you're interested in and how many employees you'll have enrolled in the benefit.