What is the Tax Treatment of FSAs (Flexible Spending Accounts)?

January 25, 2010

FSAs (Flexible Spending Accounts) are governed by Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Employees contribute to FSAs through a salary reduction agreement. The employer may also contribute to an FSA if specified in the plan documents.tax treatment of FSAs

Tax on employee benefits through flexible spending account

All contributions are excluded from an employee’s gross income and wages subject to FICA (7.65%). Similarly, employers deduct reimbursements as a business expense and exclude them from wages subject to FUTA (0.8%) and the employer portion of FICA (7.65%).

See Publication 969 for more information.

HSA vs. HRA vs. FSA
Download this free chart and discover new health benefits options.
meeting_wide-1 CTA_purp_R